Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Being a little nostalgic I decided that it was important for the girls to experience a "true" memorial day weekend visiting the graves of grandparents and others. They have been very lucky to have met and made memories with Jeremy's grandparents, but not with my grandparents, which makes me sad at times as I remember the great people they were and many memories of them that I have.
This is a great picture of our favorite Great Grandma Stavast. This is the Grandma that Tabytha proudly shares her middle name Doreen with.
Here we are at Great Grandpa Stavat's grave site. Baylee and Payge have many memories of Grandpa some they mentioned are: his pocketful of pennies, Baylee remembered Cubby, grandpa's dog, and his famous saying, "come again when you can't stay so long." He would say this as you were leaving with a huge grin on his face.
This is my mom's parents, Betty and Reid Peterson, unfortunately the girls never got to meet them, but some of the memories I have of them are the camping trips to Grey's lake, I always remember being so excited to open Grandma Betty's Christmas presents, they always contained the neatest things (many of which I still have!)

After visiting the graves is Soda Springs we took the girls to see the geyser. They were impressed that is was so tall and smelled like rotten eggs just like Yellowstone! I know very impressive and memorable.
At the end of the day and after all the rain the biggest rainbow I had ever seen appeared in front of Mom and Dad's front window. I guess to reminding us of all the blessing that we do have.
We also visited Dad's parents, Herman and Hortense Yost, in the Lund Cemetery. The girls thought that putting flowers on the graves was so fun. They did not really know Grandma very well, but remembered Grandpa's Cookie Jar and that he always gave them peanuts. It was fun to remember all those memories that were made with my grandparents.

2 comments:

Lee and Roni Poston said...

That is so neat. I think it is so much fun sharing memories with our kid. Hopefully they will remember and be able to pass them on to their kids in the future. Sounds like you guys had a good weekend. ( I didn't know Lava had a Geyser?)

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhhh that sounds like so much fun. lava has a geyser that smells like rotten eggs ewww.